In Manitoba, all coaches are required to register with MHC and submit their professional development information annually. MHC is dedicated to providing instructors/coaches with the necessary tools to create a welcoming, inclusive and safe equestrian experience for all participants, horse and human, and to develop excellence in horsemanship. MHC is committed to the Equestrian Canada National Coaching Certification Program (EC NCCP) as it is:
- The only Canadian equestrian coaching and instructor certification program
- It is recognized national and internationally for its safety standards.
National Coach Certification Program (NCCP)
The National Coach Certification Program (NCCP) is a coach training and certification program for all coaches in nearly 70 sports and is the recognized standard for coach training and certification in Canada. The NCCP is implemented by the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC). The NCCP is the only coach program accepted by Coaching Manitoba – the Sport Manitoba unit for coaching in Manitoba – as required under the CAC.
The Equestrian Canada (EC) coaching program is the nationally recognized certification program for equestrian coaches and instructors, developed in partnership with the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP), the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC) and Sport Canada. Equestrian Canada certification approves and acknowledges equestrian coach/instructors’ teaching and coaching skills as meeting professional, nationally, and internationally recognized standards for coaching practice.
The EC coaching program is the only Canadian equestrian coaching and instructor certification program recognized internationally by the FEI and IGEQ, and by Coaches of Canada and the Canadian Olympic Committee.
The EC coaching program has completed its new and more specialized program, which fits well with EC's Long-Term Equestrian Development (LTED).
Why is Certification Important?
Whether you are a student looking for lessons or a current equestrian coach interested in obtaining credentials, there are many benefits to the EC/NCCP Coaching Program.
The EC Coaching Program verifies that a coach:
- Has been evaluated at a high level and meets NCCP standards for professionalism and competence as an equestrian coach or instructor.
- Is dedicated to lifelong learning and advancement through regular professional development to maintain currency
- Has obtained relevant insurance, Safe Sport, First Aid, Concussion and Ethical Behaviour training to protect themselves and their students.
Other Certification Programs
In addition to EC/NCCP Certification program, the following certification programs are recognized by Equestrian Canada as meeting appropriate standards for quality in equestrian coaching:
- International Group of Equestrian Qualifications (IGEQ) International Training Passport
- Canadian Therapeutic Riding Association (CanTRA) Certified Instructor
- Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA) Level 2+
- Canadian Pony Club (CPC) A
- Chartered Professional Coach (ChPC) designation from CAC
Any national equestrian coaching certifications not currently recognized can apply to EC for review and recognition by contacting [email protected]
For information about each of these certification/qualification programs
Maintenance of certification is essential to:
- Ensure Instructors and Coaches stay current with new coaching practices and knowledge;
- Maintain the integrity of the NCCP;
- Maintain consistency with the standards of other professions; and,
- Reinforce the values of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
Certification within the NCCP is valid for five (5) years beginning the next calendar year after the date of certification.
Maintenance of certification is based on active coaching and professional development. The following renewal requirements must be completed annually:
- Pay annual EC Sport Licence and Coach Levy fees*
- Pay annual PTSO membership fee(s)*
- Maintain Active status in the NCCP Locker by submitting required PD points and completing any required training
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate*
- Valid Police Background Check*
*If you hold an active EC Coach Status, these requirements are completed automatically.
Professional Development Points Grid
Professional Development Update Form